Blinds

Easy Update Link_SAVE 20% + GET FREE SHIPPING AT BLINDSGALORE.COM, exp. 4/27, Animated

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where mom lives now

About four years ago I got a great idea to move my mother and grandmother from Minnesota here to Colorado so that I could take care of things for them around the house.  The home they were living in was less than steller.  It was an old fixer upper that should have been scrapped and started over.  After selling the house there was enough money to buy a city lot... a city lot in a small town and not mainstream suburbia Colorado.  I wanted my mother and grandmother closer to me because they were both starting to have health issues and I just couldn't get away to Minnesota as much with my career.

Using a government grant I was about to build a new home for my mom and grandmother (Nanny).  The house wasn't paid for, but its a program where the mortgage is locked in at a certain percentage rate and the base and 1% is all they had to pay for their payments.  Since mom and nanny were on fixed incomes this made for an affordable mortgage in a healthy environment.  The house is more affordable than any apartment than I could have found for them.  Small town living has been good for them.  The church was just a few blocks away for nanny and on bad days, and the grocery store still delivers for 50 cents.

This past May my grandmother passed away at the age of 86 and mom has been able to stay in the home and program as long as she makes the payments on her home.  So far that has been possible but increasingly more difficult as her fixed income is less than $700 a month. 

Its a cute home, but unfortunately it is nearly two hours from our home.  I don't mind the scenic drive, but I worry that I can't be there in time for mom if she needs us.  Now with the doctors appts it makes it very difficult for her to drive herself to them.  This is a big part of why I am working so hard to move mom into our neighborhood.  There is just too much she can't do for herself any more. 

Stay tuned for more about mom and her kids... 

No comments:

Post a Comment